Case Studies

Attic Insulation Case Studies: Remediation, Air Seal & New Insulation

Friday, July 9th, 2021 by Reece Barron

Challenge

   The Homeowner noticed bathroom fans that were venting into the attic space and a considerable amount of mold throughout the attic and how dirty the attic insulation was.  The attic had high humidity, mold staining across the roof deck and dirty insulation on the attic floor that was covered with insects.  The problems in the attic were caused by bathroom fan vents being vented into the attic causing humid air to condensate on the roof deck.  Soffits were being blocked with previously installed blown in fiberglass insulation not allowing proper ventilation to flow from the soffits to the ridge.  The attic floor also contained many penetrations that were not air sealed to prevent conditioned air from the home to enter into the attic space.  The Homeowner chose to have the problem fixed because we did a thorough inspection throughout the attic and were able to show why these problems existed and how we could fix them properly.   The biggest concerns the Homeowners had with the problems in the attic were the health aspects of moving into a new home that contained mold/moisture issues.

Solution

  TCI Remediation was chosen by the homeowner because we were able to show her that doing nothing or simply just cleaning the mold was not going to solve the problem at any cost.  We were thorough with what needed to be done and why.  Our solution to the problem was to remove the mold from the roof deck and trusses and remove all the contaminated blown in fiberglass from the attic floor, and to clear the insulation at the eaves blocking the ventilation from the soffits. We then air sealed all wire penetrations, top plates and bottom plates and covered the attic floor with stabilized cellulose insulation up to R-60.  We also installed insulated ducting to the bath fans and directed them out the attic space through gable vents.  we used a combination combination of products, RMR-86 to remove the mold and mildew stains. RMR-141 was used as a fungicide and disinfectant.  TruSoft Stabilized Cellulose Insulation was used to insulate and Zypfoam was used to air seal the attic floor. SilverGlo Polstyrene radiant barrier faced foam board was used to cover the hatch cover and weather stripping under the hatch cover was installed to create an airtight hatch. The homeowner now has a mold free attic space that is being properly ventilated and a more energy efficient attic with R-60 insulation and an air sealed attic floor.

 

Top